A Yachad family asked me to share with you this job description seeking a live-in caregiver for their autistic daughter. She is non-verbal and has many interests, including ice skating and swimming. I know the young woman and can give you more information if you want. Please forward their ad to your colleagues and friends; applications will be screened by Advocates, Inc.
Live-In Caregiver (Watertown, MA)
Advocates, Inc. www.advocatesinc.org
Advocates, Inc. Supported Home Care division is seeking a live-in caregiver to support one of its Supported Home Care individuals. The ideal candidate must live in or willing to relocate to Watertown, MA or surrounding towns.
Caregiver will support a very active, energetic, nonverbal 23-year-old female with autism, who enjoys bowling; spending time in the pool at a local YMCA; ice skating independently at an indoor rink; taking nature walks and running an hour on an outdoor athletic track; rollerblading in a safe place without traffic; biking on a safe bike trail; listening to vocal folk music and country music; attending live musical theatre shows; assisting with basic food preparation; participating in Yachad events (Jewish group of young adults) and going out for ice cream.
The individual needs food preparation, assistance lacing her ice skates, showering, personal hygiene and other activities for daily living. The caregiver will assist the individual in becoming more independent with ADLs and daily routines.
The ideal candidate will enjoy being physically active, have stability, maturity, patience, kindness, good judgment and will be respectful of individuals with developmental disabilities, in addition to, having the following qualifications:
· Female with high energy level and interest in healthy living
· Non-smoker and no alcohol, please
· No guns or other firearms
· Calm personality is very helpful with a focus on creating a nurturing environment.
· Willingness to take the individual to do her preferred activities
· Willingness to adhere to individual’s dietary requirements and food preferences
· Comfortable providing verbal prompts
· Comfortable and experience working with nonverbal, autistic individuals is preferred
· Ability to “ put yourself into the shoes “ on a nonverbal individual with a disability who is trying very hard to communicate her basic needs
· Must be committed to fostering a learning environment for the individual
· Comfortable assisting individual with activities for daily living
· Tolerance with loud vocalizations
· Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
· Willingness to be a team player in communicating with individual’s family, when necessary, and with Advocates staff and staff at the Individual’s day program
· Must have valid driver’s license and reliable form of transportation.
Please visit the web site to complete caregiver/provider application: http://www.advocatesinc.org/caregiver-pr
Cell Phone: 508-808-4186